Tender kale with fresh, juicy blueberries, creamy goat cheese, and a wonderful balsamic vinaigrette. The perfect salad. Add chicken breast to make this a whole and healthy meal.
Happy Sunday, everyone!
Funny story… When I met Adam, he was the pickiest eater out there. I’ll never forget the time I fed him a grape tomato and he spat it out and made up his face because he “thought it was going to taste like a grape”. Oh man, I laughed so hard that night. He also didn’t eat lettuce, or cucumbers, or kale, or pretty much anything that was considered a vegetable. I know what you’re thinking… How? Why? What the hell? I asked myself those same questions. You see, Adam is one of those people with psychic abilities that allow him to know what certain foods taste like before they ever hit his tastebuds. AMAZING!! (And so very annoying).
But one (probably rainy) night in Victoria, I went into my garden and picked some kale and a few blueberries. I made this salad, and I
force-fed asked Adam to at least try a few bites. I made him taste a forkful with kale, a couple blueberries, and a big chunk of goat cheese. He tried so hard to spit it out, but I clamped his mouth shut made him finish that one bite. Here’s a tip: If someone is trying something they think they won’t like, make them finish one bite, and while they’re eating it ask, “It’s good, isn’t it??” You have to describe all the delicious flavours at the same time. Believe it or not, Adam willingly picked up another forkful and ate it. In fact, he ate an entire bowl full of this salad!!
Fast forward two years: the same guy who spat out that grape tomato spent the entire summer of 2015 eating tomatoes off the vine in our backyard. I like to think I changed him for the better. Can you imagine all the nutrients his body would be lacking if he didn’t constantly ask me to make kale salads for him? Clearly, I’m a life saver. Maybe I can change your life for the better too, once you try this salad. 🙂
- 1 bunch kale
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 2oz goat cheese (about half a package)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Cut the stems off the kale, then cut the leaves into bite sized pieces. Wash and dry.
- Massage kale with salt and olive oil, until it is completely coated.
- Add blueberries and goat cheese and toss.
- Whisk the honey, dijon, salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar until combined.
- Slowly pour in olive oil, whisking constantly.
- Whisk until the oil and vinegar emulsify (are no longer separate layers).
- Add crushed garlic.
- Drizzle vinaigrette over kale, toss, and enjoy.
- Store leftover vinaigrette in the fridge.