This one-pan dish is filled with tender sweet potatoes, crisp juicy apples, and sweet caramelized onions – the perfect combination of sweet and savoury. You’ve gotta try this!
Happy Sunday, everyone!
I wrote this post when I was on a plane to Jamaica on Christmas Eve, and I really wanted to share it with you then, but then we landed, and I got caught up with eating amazing food, spending time with family, and doing headstands on the beach. So here it is now!
Not too long ago, I joined a blogger group called the Recipe Swap Club; each month we’re assigned a different blog, and we get to choose any recipe on that person’s blog and recreate it as our own. For December’s recipe swap, I was assigned Joe’s Healthy Meals. Joe and his wife, MaryJo, retired almost 6 years ago and live in Florida now. He started cooking about 20 years ago, and hasn’t looked back. I seriously love that he blogs healthy recipes – if you’ve been following my blog at all, you’d know that healthy food not just up my alley, it IS my alley!
I had a hard time choosing a recipe to recreate. I was really tempted to go with these Cous Cous Patties, or these BBQ Jackfruit Sliders (I’m still going to try these), and after going alllllll the way back to some of his very first recipes, I decided I wanted to try this Sweet Potato and Caramelized Onion Skillet. It helped that I had all the ingredients on hand (you probably do too, so you should definitely give this a try). It did not disappoint! The sweet and savory combination was delicious – tender sweet potato, crisp and juicy apples, and sweet caramelized onions, all brought together by flavors of garlic and fresh ginger. It was DELICIOUS. I had to stop myself from eating the entire skillet, no joke.
Anyway, please give this recipe a try! If you do, I’d love to see pictures – you can tag @loveandcilantro on Instagram, or tag Love and Cilantro on facebook! Enjoy!
This one-pan dish is filled with tender sweet potatoes, crisp juicy apples, and sweet caramelized onions - the perfect combination of sweet and savoury. You've gotta try this!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 1 medium sized sweet potato, peeled and cut in 1cm cubes
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp freshly grated ginger
- ½ tsp brown sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 apple, peeled and cored, and cut in 1cm cubes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a well-seasoned cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add olive oil, the sliced onion, and a pinch of salt. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft and lightly browned (not burnt, just caramelized).
- Add the sweet potato and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally so they don’t burn.
- Add garlic, brown sugar, salt and pepper (to taste), and water. Cover and simmer for 7 minutes.
- Add apples and stir, then cover and let them cook another 3-4 minutes, or until apples and sweet potatoes are tender.
- Check for seasoning, serve, and enjoy!
I halved this recipe since there are only two of us, so you can definitely double or even triple this (just use a bigger skillet).